Girlfriends and Ganache

Spilling the tea honey!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Another excerpt from my journal: Miles and Magic.

Date: Three Elevens

12 years later and I'm just bringing myself to listen to Cassandra Wilson's "Traveling Miles". Not because I didn't think it would be great, but because I feel for Miles what I feel for Stevie, Marley, Nina, Donnie. Underneath the notes of their genius is something inexplicable, almost spiritual. So while tributes, nods and homages are usually a sign of respect, I think the tampering of certain works are the musical equivalent to sacrilege.

Begrudgingly, I listen. I'm not impressed on a whole, but track # 1, her rendition of "Run the Voodoo Down" instantly sends me into a sorta protective state, like she had stolen something. Carefully, intentionally, enters Olu Dara's cornet. They (Wilson and Olu) channel Miles' ability to make the music, so full of itself that it should explode, whisper. It was sensual.

When the song is over, I've unknowingly let down my guard and I could see Miles dance beneath a Bahia sky around magical wild fires. Intoxicated. No big sunglasses. No sharkskin suit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home